Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Results



Sorry I didn't check in with you all last night. We didn't get back from the hospital until 9pm.

Here is the jist of it.

The herniation of the cerebral tonsils into the brain stem area has gotten worse (most likely due to the tethered cord). The fluid pocket is what causes the extreeme fatigue, and it can be repaired.

Three surgeries and a proceedure should make my body more bareable to live in.

First of all, the mistakes done in my first surgery has led to the need for a revision. This is the surgery I will talk about today.....because I am a little overwhelmed, and don't want to go into all of that yet.

This surgery will get rid of the pocket of fluid collected, and will clean up my cerebral tonsils and surrounding area.

This surgery is the most important perhaps, yet also the most scary.

It will be alot like my first surgery, only longer.....and my first surgery was horrible.

However, the surgeon says my reaction to the first surgery sounds like I had a form of mennigitis post-op........so it shouldn't be as bad this time. However.........I will have to be in NY for 10-12 days.

At the same time they will be placing a drain from my brain to a little plastic bag. After a few days they will remove the drain to see how things go.

If all goes well........wonderful.

If things do not it is back to my mortal enemy........The Shunt!!! Uhhggg!!!

The surgeon is wonderful and understands my hesitation on the shunt.

He says if it has to be done it will be placed back in the paritenniel (can't spell it) cavity rather than the lung or heart....which I didn't want at all.

Anyway, this all will most likely occur sometime in late July or August.

Sorry if this sounds very sterile.........I am still trying to process all of the info myself.

Please pray about the days to come.......and my flight back to Maryland later today.


2 comments:

lace1070 said...

Glad you have gotten some answers and a surgery plan ~ I was totally blown away with the news I received at TCI ~ they are brilliant but the information can be a little numbing at first! Hang in there ~ Lace

Linda said...

Bless your heart! Alot to process it sounds like. Keeping you in our prayers.

http://lifewithchiari.blogspot.com/