Monday, September 17, 2007

What a ride so far, huh? Goodness.
Ironically, today has been the only day it really hit me that I had brain surgery. First of all, I was completely out of it until I got out of ICU, which was around Thursday. And by then the docs were done talking about all that went down in surgery......so I am still putting the pieces together. God blessed me with a wonderful friend in Jen, who has patiently explained and reexplained to me what went on.
So here's what I understand. The docs found chemicals or something like that, left over from menningitus from the first surgery, so they cleaned that out. They burned off a part of my brain I apparently do not need (apparently these docs know me better than I thought they did), they took out everything the old surgeon put in, and got rid of the leak......then used some of my own scalp tissue to create a dura patch.........and finally something I am very excited about.......
They gave me a trap door scull. lol
Jen referred to it as a trap door, stating it will make it easier to get in next time, while providing structural support.
I don't get all that......what I do get is that finally, five years after my first surgery, I have a scull in the back of my head instead of a soft spot. And so touching the back of my head isn't painful.
This place was so awesome, I really want to take another time to tell you about it. But I will say, that I feel better one week after this surgery, than I did six months after my first surgery. God has defiantely been at work here, and I want to thank all of you who took part in praying for that.

Well I was officially discharged from the hospital this afternoon. We have to stay in NY for a few more days. My doctor thinks I will be okay to travel by Wed.

I am exhausted and need to get to bed. The ride to the hotel really wore me out. I feel so old. But am looking forward to spending the first night out of the hospital.

3 comments:

lace1070 said...

Queli ~ so good to hear that you are out of the hospital and it sounds like the docs @ TCI took care of you! :) I am so happy for you that you can put this huge hurdle behind you and focus on recovery. Keep my posted on your progress ~ Hugs to you ~ Lace

Abbie said...

Oh Queli- I'm glad you are doing good. looking forward to seeing you soon.
Take care

Linda said...

Great to hear that you are out of the hospital. Take care of yourself and get some rest.

Linda