Tuesday, June 12, 2007

NY Fundraising: Just da Facts

Consultation at the Chiari Institute

Date: June 24th-27th

Location: Great Neck, NY (near Long Island)

What?: Testing, and consulation with various members of medical team that specialize in Arnold-Chiari Malformation.

Cost: Around $1483. (updated amount)
Medicare pays for 80% of total cost minus a low deductable. Due to this visit being out-of-state, my normal secondary insurance will not cover the other 20%. The total cost of all the testing is unknown at this time. However, my share of just the consultation and trip itself will come to around $2.500.


Here are the different ways I am raising the funds needed.

1) Making Zipperhead Awareness Pins. Available for $2 each. (Zipperhead, what Chianians call themselves, comes from the zipper-like scar on the back of the head after the decompression brain surgery...and no I didn't come up with that). Email me if you are interested in pins.

2) T-shirts, sweatshirts and more available at http://www.printfection.com/acm Some are funny, some are serious, and all are meant to raise awareness. (I also designed some MS shirts for my friends out there battling that horrible illlness)

3) A Mary Kay fundraiser done by my dear friend Kimberlyn, who offered to help using one of her many talents. I will send website information when I get it.

4) Taking donations through Paypal for those that have a Paypal account. The account is under my junk email account queli.is@gmail.com. If you would like to send cash, or a check, please email me for an address.


Linda said...

I too am in the same situation with insurance and out of pocket for TCI. I will have to pay all of the consult and most of any tests or surgery performed there. I just sent my packet last week and I don't have an appointment or testing info yet. I will also need to have some type of fund raising events to help with the costs. I've fought this for 1 1/2 years and no one here really understands ACM so it's time to take the hit. It's going to cripple us financially but we have to do it. I already have two of the red flag symptoms along with many other. I pray you raise the money needed and have a successful trip and get some answers and help.